Sunday, January 11, 2015

And So It Begins...

Hello, Kia Ora, Bonjour, Guten Tag, Aloha, Ciao, Ni Hao and Kon-nichiwa Everyone

I have been wanting to start a blog for a very long time but I either didn't have time, motivation or I didn't think I would be "good enough" at writing to do it. However, here I am, attempting to write a blog post. It seems to be going fairly well, a bit unsure if the hello is too cheesy but I do like cheese especially brie, so we'll leave it. Though, I doubt people who speak all those languages will really read this. Oops, I have to stop that self-deprecating nonsense, this blog should be a positive place full of sunshine, rainbows and all that crap.

I have had a rather difficult last year and among my other New Year's goals and resolutions I decided to do a fun one. I decided to do a 2015 Reading Challenge, I found the PopSugar list floating around my tumblr dashboard and thought it would fit the bill. I read a lot already but this challenge will give me the motivation to broaden my reading horizons. Initially, I was going to do a little review on tumblr but I thought a blog would be more appropriate and it would give me the perfect excuse to start one. My Mum is doing the challenge too, but she will be doing it a bit more privately. If you would like to do this book challenge too, feel free to join me on this journey!

The name idea for "The Travelling Donkey" came from my name, Jenny. A jenny is a female donkey (a male donkey is a jack if you're curious). The idea first came to mind when I was thinking of doing a blog when I start travelling. Unfortunately, travelling doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon but I still like the name. "The Travelling Donkey" sounds like a name given to a quaint inn or pub similar to "The Prancing Pony" from Lord of the Rings. I decided that despite the fact that I currently am not travelling and that this blog will be primarily a book blog (at least in the beginning), I still like the name so I'm going use it.

Do you guys want some background information? I don't really care because I'm going to do it anyway... Sorry. I have lived in New Zealand all my life. I went to the University of Otago and completed a Bachelor of Arts in Archaeology and History. In 2013 I began an Honours year in Archaeology, which was pretty exciting because we finally got to do field work! Unfortunately, I had to pull out near the end of the year because I was overwhelmed and had other personal/familial problems going on at the time. Last year was a recovery of the Honours drama so I have decided to make this year moving forward year! That's the plan anyway.

I hope you will enjoy the future updates and thank you for reading.
Goodbye (i'm not going to be cheesy with the goodbye...)
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment